Monday, October 25, 2010

Eggsperimenting: Loaded Frittata


I started this thing freshman year of college... It was sort of like a personal challenge. There are very few foods that I dislike, and I really just wanted to have ZERO foods that I dislike. So I started with cucumbers. I didn't like cucumbers, so I began slicing them very thinly and putting them on my sandwiches. Then I progressed to ordering dishes with cucumber and not asking for it to be removed. Eventually, I stopped hating cucumbers, and now I actually like them.

Well I hate eggs. HATE THEM. They're my second most hated food behind onions. I used to actually feel sick just from the smell of scrambled eggs. So about a month ago I decided to experiment with eggs to see if I could change my own mind. Here is my first eggsperiment: Loaded Frittata.

Ingredients:
  • 8 organic eggs
  • 1 organic egg yolk
  • 1 cup sliced crimini mushroom
  • 1/4 cup diced tomato
  • 5-7 kalamata olives, chopped
  • 2 tbsp parmesan
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Parsley for garnish
1. On the stove, heat garlic and olive oil in a large oven-safe pan until slightly golden. Add sliced mushrooms and sautee on high. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. While mushrooms are cooking, beat eggs with a whisk. Add tomatoes, olives, parmesan, and a generous amount of salt and pepper
3. When mushrooms are almost done, lower heat and pour the egg mixture into the pan.
4. With a rubber spatula, slowly push the outside of the egg mixture in, bringing the cooked bits of eggs to the middle.
5. After about two minutes, transfer the pan to the oven. Cook for about 10 minutes, then begin checking for doneness. Don't let it overcook!
6. Let cool for a couple minutes, then cut and garnish with parsley and extra parmesan.

Photobucket
- See why it's called a LOADED frittata? -

Coming from a person who really hates eggs, I actually liked this frittata. A lot. Probably because it was SO flavorful and full of ingredients. But I still got the protein from the eggs! In the future I will probably add more eggs to make it a little thicker. I would really recommend this recipe as a base to make whatever kind of frittata you'd like. Experiment with your favorite ingredients and see what works best! As for me, there will definitely be more eggsperiments to come.

Are there any ingredients that you absolutely hate? Would you be willing to try them in a new way?

No comments:

Post a Comment