Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Passion vs. Motivation


Since I started this blog, all I've really talked about is food. At the beginning I talked a little about my intentions, but I haven't really talked about ME. Although I'm pretty everyone who reads this knows me already (I'm not that popular... yet), I feel like it's important to let you know a little bit more about myself and my ambitions: of which I am completely unsure.

Obviously I'm kind of obsessed with food; There's no other way to put it. I just love food. It's really not just eating, but everything about food that I love. Nothing makes me happier or more alive than this.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Yes, that's chocolate cake. On a knife.

But there's another part of me that is really interested in law and social justice. I've done mock trial since high school, and honestly, I'm good at it. I like figuring out the "puzzle" that is a court case: manipulating all the pieces until I make them into something truly convincing. I like the adrenaline rush that comes from being in front of a courtroom- the feeling that, in the past few years, has transformed from fear to confidence.

Photobucket

Photobucket


So here's the big question that has racked my brain for the past three years: Culinary School or Law School?

I'm honestly just scared of both options. As a chef I'd probably make less money, have a more physically demanding job, and be giving up something I'm good at that I could use to help so many people. But as a lawyer, I think that one day, eventually, I'd stop liking my job. And I know I'd always wonder, "What if?"

"Passion is an overwhelming love for the experience of a favorite activity. Motivation is a drive to engage in an activity based on some reward the activity offers beyond the simple enjoyment of the experience itself. When you have great passion... you don't need any extra motivation. But motivation without passion can only take you so far" - Dean Karnazes

6 comments:

  1. I think that you should pursue what ever makes you happiest, and whatever you will love to do your entire life. Its a HUGE decision though... pasta looks fantastic, btw!! lol

    -Cody Emerson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not both? Law could be your career and cooking could be your passion :) Come home from the office and cook an amazing meal; that's the best of both worlds that you can get to do the two things you love in life in one day. I'm sure there's a way you can pursue both in life ~ Emma Powers

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to lead a life that your going to love. One that is not only filled with fragments of things you enjoy but substance. What would provide you with substance? Try this: Ask yourself as you close your eyes.....What would make you wake up every morning and say... "I love my Job"! - DON'T think about it for longer than 5 seconds. Open your eyes. What image did you see? If all else fails follow your heart, we live a very short life, so why spend it doing something that you don't absolutely, 100%, positiviely LOVE.
    <3

    ReplyDelete